Saturday, May 6, 2017

The Run for the Roses (NOVA this week)

Observations from my weekly wanderings, usually in Northern Virginia (NOVA).

And now a brief respite from bookish things. It is the first Saturday in May, The Run for the Roses, The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports – The Kentucky Derby.

Lest I depart entirely from the theme of my blog, I’ll point out a few horses with lyrical names. None more so than Sonneteer. The only other that strikes me is Always Dreaming.

But this is just frivolity. The real point is: who will win? I believe Always Dreaming will wear the garland of roses – though I believe Classic Empire and Irish War Cry will contend. A long shot I like is State of Honor, and an extreme long shot (50-1) that I give a chance, is Sonneteer.


Something I wrote about my favorite horse…Ghosts of Derbies Past.

No comments:

Post a Comment